Thursday, December 12, 2013

Another Intensive Bet Camp, at the Dogs.


Two wonderful days and nights at Palm Beach Kennel Club.  Since I can't go to the dogs or even bet on them in New York I take advantage of being Florida.  Saturday just happened to be a treat as I saw champion dogs, JS Speedypebbles and Rob Gronkowski (record holder) win their races.  Wow, Rob Gronkowski was the fastest thing I've ever seen flash past, he was amazing.  While my purpose this time was to work on photography skills I wasn't happy with  most of the shots.  I'm beginning to think if you can shoot racing dogs you can shoot anything and it might be years before I master the craft.



I thought handicapping dogs was easier than horses too until I met some people with between 35 to 45 years experience betting on greyhounds.  It turned out to be another intensive bet camp for me.  I don't exactly blend well at the track.  I left the camera back at the hotel for the evening races and picked up a coach, Kevin, with tons of knowledge.  Practice and schooling in analyzing information on the card can be overwhelming for a newbie like me.  Sixty races later I was just getting the hang of it when the evening wrapped up, but I thank my coach for a wealth of education and next time believe, like all gamblers, will be better.  Hopefully the photos will too.  The weekend at the dog track somehow cleared my head a bit as I noticed playing the last meeting at Finger Lakes (thoroughbreds) this Tuesday was easier.  The fog maybe lifting.  Handicapping is like anything else you need to do it all the time to get good at it.  Even if I'm not playing I still handicap the form like other people do crossword puzzles, just to hone my skills.

Turk, 45 years at the track, with friends.
  Jazzman.Gary, a regular at the track.
    



No comments:

Post a Comment